Friday, July 8, 2011

More Bread!

So, here's the post I promised.  The other night I decided to mix up a batch of pizza dough instead of what I've been doing and the kids and I are in <3.


I'll share the recipe here, but if you need the method please go here.

3C warm water
1 1/2 T kosher salt (1 T if you're using table salt)
1 1/2 T yeast (one packet will work if you don't have a jar, it's a little less but still rises fine)
1 T sugar
1/4C olive oil
6 1/2C flour

Mix it all together, let rise for two hours on the counter, then move to the fridge.  I really felt like this one needed the time in the fridge.  The recipe that I used initially said to sub 1/4C of water out for the oil, but I accidentally just ADDED the oil instead of subbing - my conclusion is that this is a forgiving recipe.

To make the flatbread pictured at the top of this post I did this:
Preheat to 450.  Tear off a hunk of dough and drop it onto a well-floured counter top then squish it flat with a rolling pin (flip it over now and then, makes the process easier).  I rolled it stretched it, then tossed it a few times (kids thought that was really great) because I think it's fun (and it really stretches the dough better in my opinion).  I put it on my silpat covered baking sheet and brushed it with olive oil, then sprinkled on some garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil and dried oregano.  Bake for 15-20.  If you eat dairy, sprinkle a (very) little mozzarella on during the last few minutes.

Also, just to see what would happen...  I formed a boule and baked it as well.  It needed less time than I expected, but this little experiment resulted in something I didn't expect: a more loved loaf than the original.  You see, the only complaint over the original is that Princess Spritely had a difficult time with the crust.  It was too... crusty.  THIS one, however, made her a very happy girl.  Jupiter agrees that the much softer crust is preferable, so it appears this will be our regular recipe.

I'm excited to tinker with this.  I think it will be fun to make some stuffed breads and I have ideas for rolling it out pizza crust style and covering it with the stuff I used for the flat bread then rolling it up pinwheel style to make an herb bread to serve with warm olive oil.  Ultimately, I hope to sub out some of the AP flour for some whole in order to increase the nutritional value...  King Arthur Flour has a whole white wheat that I'm really interested in trying, I've read that people are subbing that cup for cup with good results - perhaps I'll pick up a bag when I'm at the shops next.

<3

No comments: